Sexy, Dirty and Everything Flirty

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I'm Flattered, But Still...

Yesterday, I was walking to class and someone stopped me in the halls and said, "Congratulations!" I was like, "Um... congratulations for what?" And he's like, "You made principal!" OMFG... So, I go to the audition results board, and there's my name at the top of the viola section. Is this some kind of joke?

For those of you who don't know, to be a principal musician, whether it be flute or cello or trumpet, means you are usually the best or most capable player on your instrument, and/or you have exceptional leadership capabilities. I've been principal violist with nearly every orchestra I've worked with. However, ever since around my 3rd year in college, that desire to be #1 has died down in me; I'm much less competitive than I was when I was younger ;)

Being principal in your section takes alot of hard work, and with it, comes plenty of responsibility, most of which I haven't had to deal with in a few years. I specifically asked to be last chair before my audition because I knew it would be a lot of work trying to prepare for my senior recital without all the work that being principal would take. So, you can see why I was not only surprised but also betrayed when I saw my name up there.

I even tried to talk to the conductor by saying it would be unfair to the orchestra if I remained principal as I would not be able to devote myself fully to the section. He said he knew about my situation and talked to the other members in my section and they were all fine with that. WTF? This is a conspiracy! :P He also told the assitant principal that making me principal might "get me out of the funk" that I've been in. Anyway, I'm now principal viola in the college orchestra. And even though I'm feigning being very upset, I'm actually kind of proud of myself :)

6 Comments:

  • At 6:42 AM , Blogger peachy said...

    It is a great accomplishment, and you should be proud.
    I'm sure you'll do fine even if you do slack. Slacking for you is probably like 99% for everyone else.

     
  • At 8:59 AM , Blogger LE Sweetz said...

    congratulations!

     
  • At 9:21 AM , Blogger Yankeebob said...

    I think that's awesome Quyen! Congratulations! You are busy but that is something to be proud of. :)

     
  • At 4:48 PM , Blogger Rarry said...

    CONGRATS!!!

     
  • At 7:29 PM , Blogger JK said...

    Congratualtions... I think. You've been in a funk? Well it's nice of them to let you know how you feel. haha

     
  • At 2:58 PM , Blogger MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

    Congrats!! That is really exciting news!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home