Sexy, Dirty and Everything Flirty

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Wish for the Future

While on my way to work today, I was sitting at a stoplight, and I watched an old woman cross the street with her grandson's hand in hers. He was flailing his arms about, taking in the world around him, naive to the danger which surrounded him, while his grandmother chided him and walked him to the other side of the street, to saftey. He was a small human being, with no knowledge of the ills of the world or the mandates of society and social standing. He was, ideally, what philsophers refer to as tabula rasa, or "blank slate".

All children are tabulae rasae, entering the world with no preconceived mental constructs about anything. No racism, no hatred, no maliciousness. All of that is learned. And as I saw the little boy cross the street, I wondered, "What kind of man will he grow up to be?" Will he commit hate crimes? Will he stand by while they happen? Will he think women are his equals? Will he destroy life in the name of war?

Every child, no matter what race, color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation is a wish for the future. How we raise our children, as a society, directly affects our own dreams for not only our children's futures, but our own visions of what is ideal as well. How we act, how we think, and what we say are all subject to examination for our little tabulae rasae. And it pains me to imagine that, at this moment, some people are telling racist jokes to our "blank slates".

5 Comments:

  • At 3:14 AM , Blogger peachy said...

    I was thinking about stuff like this over the weekend. It's depressing.

     
  • At 6:44 AM , Blogger Yankeebob said...

    Good post Quyen. It's sad to think that things like that are happening right now.

    It makes me sad to think that I am no longer tabula rasa. Bummer.

     
  • At 12:54 PM , Blogger PlatinumGirl said...

    Ah, to be a blank slate again. Ignorance certainly can be bliss.

     
  • At 2:22 PM , Blogger The Mighty Anonymous said...

    Q, in one post you've managed to completely misrepresent and disfigure the beauty of Locke's tabula rasa with the ugliness of pop psych.

    I, obviously, belong to Locke's camp.

    The idea of tabula rasa was meant to foster the idea that a person will author his/her own soul. The power to effect change in the self results from the self.

    You are responsible for your growth or lack thereof. Sound consistent with what I've said before? You bet!

    The power to effect change does NOT result from society. No philosopher came up with that. That's pop psych. I call it quackery, but I'm old fashioned.

    Personally, I wouldn't WANT my personality defined by the same society that's given us reality television, McD's and Jessica Simpson. I don't gotta catch them all. I don't pay money to advertise someone elses products.

    Telling or hearing a racist joke will not make you racist, not even as a child. I personally enjoy them immensely. Playing video games will not make you run out and kill people either. I enjoy those too. Except for the fps genre, it's boring.

    In the end it all comes down to your own personal choices. Sure, you may be influenced by society. Probably a great deal more than you'll be influenced by something like your genetic makeup. The pressure IS there...

    ...but in the end, YOU are responsible for yourself.

    Just my $0.02

     
  • At 7:57 PM , Blogger Mogwai said...

    This is one of the main reasons that I got into teaching in the first place. I like the idea that I can impart some grain of good knowledge in these kids that will help them make sense of their lives and the world around them.

    That part of me is largely what makes me want to be a parent some day. Not that I just want kids, but I want to be a good dad and I think I could be.

    When you are little, it is amazing how much stuff you do not notice and how simple everything is. I wish I could have that feeling again. It is funny that you made this post when you did because I have been thinking about this quite a bit. Here I am, in the middle of Japan, and all of these little kids will just stare at me and grin. I think they realize that I am different looking than the other adults around here but they don't care. Its really cool to be able to see the purity within them.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home