Sexy, Dirty and Everything Flirty

Monday, June 06, 2005

Finally! It's over! :D

So, for the past month, I've been stressing out about presenting my first student showcase recital. As many of you know, I teach viola, violin, cello, and piano at a private performing arts school. Because we are the premiere arts school in the area, there are certain aspects that put us a cut above the rest. One of those things is showcase recitals. We are required, by signed contract, to put together a showcase of our students and present them to the public. Since the quality of the recital is something that can affect your future pay scale (as well as be a vehicle for getting fired), it was extremely important for me to show the school my worth as both a teacher and performer. And as the "new kid on the block", I had to prove myself to the other faculty as well.

I've spent the last couple of months preparing my students for this recital. From picking out repertoire to teaching them recital etiquette to polishing their pieces and so on. It's important to have your students play well because they are representing you as a teacher as well as your effectiveness as a teacher. So, needless to say, I've been very stressed out.

Well, the recital was this past Saturday, and I have to admit it's all a blur to me now. I messed up on my intro speech, the kids forgot when to leave their seat to come perform next so I had to ask the manager to help me micro-manage them, and in my performance, there was a huge page-turning blunder... BUT it all went well and reasonably smoothly! I got complimented many times on my performance, as well as my students' performances. The dean of the school was very pleased at the professional quality that my recital had. She specifically noted how nice it was to sit there and just see students do everything like clockwork without prompting. So, I hope this reflects well on my record, and now, I'm sure I'm not going to get fired! ;)

Now to start thinking about my next recital in December! :P

P.S. After the recital, I enjoyed a wonderful sushi dinner and then got really, really buzzed. Talk about stress relief hehehe :P

9 Comments:

  • At 11:01 AM , Blogger JK said...

    Congratulations Q. From the teacher's perspective it always seems to be "not quite right" but that is only because you expect perfection. Near perfection is usually the result, and that is always very well received.

     
  • At 1:12 PM , Blogger Kis Lee said...

    congrats on a job well done!

     
  • At 1:39 PM , Blogger Quyen said...

    Jermey - Yeah, we teachers are so critical, aren't we? :P

    Giest - I thought everything was gonna blow up in m face for awhile there... Good thing it didn't! :)

    LE - Thank you! :D

     
  • At 4:21 PM , Blogger grace said...

    good job :)

     
  • At 8:33 PM , Blogger Barbara aka Yooni said...

    yay...congrats Q! I remember those recitals...I use to be a student at NSA(Nevada School Of The Arts) and I loved the recitals. I have all those good old trophies and awards. I even played for the govenor, twice!
    I'm sure your next recital will be even better!

     
  • At 4:41 AM , Blogger Yankeebob said...

    Glad to hear the recital went well. The prep can be quite nerve-wracking.

    I only managed to play in one recital when I was learning Viola. I quit it to learn Guitar before the second one. :)

     
  • At 8:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That'll do Q. That'll do.

    (Somewhere mice sing in the distance)

    TMAnon

     
  • At 11:54 AM , Blogger peachy said...

    Congratulations on a job well done!
    I'm sure no one even realized the little things you noticed. :)

     
  • At 4:00 PM , Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful said...

    Yey!! I use to play the cello but dropped it in high school. I still miss it sometimes.

    It must be a great feeling to have finished such an accomplishment. Enjoy!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home